Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Loving Sydney

New Year in Sydney was wonderful. We ate the most amazing prawns and oysters at our friend's house before going out to see the Harbour Bridge fireworks. They were fantastic and went on for ages. It was a great night but I was so shattered from a mammoth walk from Coogee Beach to Bondi and was yawning shortly after midnight. I'm not young enough to party all night any more!On New Year's day we went to Manly - a very nice beach but closed because of the crazy surf. It's also quite disconcerting to swim when every beach has its own shark watch helicopter circling all the time. We had a walk through a bush area which was great until I noticed all the massive spiders hanging in webs above us. The one in the photo was right above my head - not sure if he has massive eyes or pinchers?. I had some delicious octopus and chips as we watched the sun go down in the evening. We took the boat back into Sydney.
Today we went to the Blue Mountains by train. It was good to get out of the city and it was spectacular, with the most amazing views. We saw the famous 3 sisters - the rocks in the photo and walked through rain forest and creeks. We went up the mountain in the steepest funicular railway in the world. It was very freaky. I thought we were going to slide all the way down again and slip straight down into the rain forest below.

1 comment:

Sameranda said...

Ahhh - sharks and giant spiders... I would love to go to Oz but those things scare me so much!! Your photos are awesome, glad to hear you had a good New Years Eve! xxx