Friday, January 30, 2009

Around Malacca

We've been in Malacca now for 5 nights, which really is a little bit too long. It's probably a city worth visiting for 3 nights, but we were not to know that until we had already booked. We do feel like residents and everyone expects us for breakfast or a mid-morning cofee and cake in the various bars and restaurants. It's probably been for the best that we've taken it easy as I've not been good for much other than taking afternoon naps and going to bed early. I still haven't shaken off my cold. Mallaca is a gorgeous old town, which in 10 years is going to look amazing. They are doing up the canal area so that there will be 15km of walking paths along the canal. It's great in most places now but you can see how polished it is going to be in the future.
Gareth showing how much he is loving Malacca! Gareth bought me this lino-cut in Malacca for my birthday. It represents 'completeness'. I was having trouble deciding on prosperity, good health etc and I thought completeness was probably the best we could choose - I also liked the green! I met the guy who made them and he showed me his printing workshop. It reminded me of doing this at school at GCSE and various friends cutting their hands open with the blades. I'm sure health and safety wouldn't allow it now!

Below is a picture of the Chinese New Year paper offerings that they burn in the temples for the gods and their ancestors. They burn replica money, houses, clothes... to bring in good luck in the new year. Here are some tips to stay lucky over the new year:

Do open doors and windows

Do have a VERY clean house

Do eat sweets

Do wear a new pair of slipper that someone has given you - in order to step on people talking badly about you

Don't get a hair cut or buy new shoes

Chuc Mung Nam Moi!

No comments: